Select Location
General Legal

Summer Is Time For Water Crisis In India: Claim For Safe Drinking Water

After Delhi, Summer water crisis has taken Madhya Pradesh too under its ambit. The villagers in Madhya Pradesh has to walk for about 5km daily to the UP border to fetch drinking water, which is also of questionable quality. When getting safe drinking water is a fundamental right and the authority is silent, the people have to claim their rights. Let us know how one can claim their right from the government.

Just about 275 km far from Bhopal, Tikamgarh, a small village in Madhya Pradesh are fighting with the problem of no supply of drinking water. Everyday women and children of the village are forced to walk a distance of 5km till UP border, even in the 40 degrees celsius in summer to fetch drinking water. 

Though there is hand pump and tap water facilities, it is useless during summer as the water level goes down, and the rivers dry up. The villagers notified the local administrator about this acute water shortage, but no step has been taken yet.

People are in severe problem as their life is made to go through hell due to this water crisis. Children are not being able to attend school as they need to go to fetch water. The water which they are fetching going so long daily is of questionable quality. It can have harmful consequences on health as well.

Water is an important amenities which is really crucial in daily life. Let alone the issue with whole city or town, at times your society, or only a few houses do not get enough water supply what they are supposed to get. It must be kept in mind the water supply may vary from place to place depending on the availability, in such situation nothing can be done. But if you are not getting enough supply which you are supposed to get, know your rights for that:

  • Right to water, rather right to access to safe drinking water is a provision under the right to life under Art. 21 of the Constitution of India.
  • If you are not getting proper supply of water though you have informed the local municipal or corporation body, and they have neither been able to solve the issue nor furnish you with proper explanation, you can approach the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
  • To complain regarding the water issue you can call on the toll free number of the Ministry of Drinking Water And Sanitation or register your complain on the websites provided by your respective state.
  • Even still your issue is not resolved, you can file a writ petition before the High Court of your state (Art. 226 of Constitution of India) or the Supreme Court of India (Art. 32 of Constitution of India)
  • If it is an issue of the whole area, you can file a Public Interest Litigation for getting a proper remedy for your problem.

At MyAdvo we have a mission of making legal simple. MyAdvo acts as Client's legal concierge providing technology solutions for Lawyer Discovery, Price Discovery and Case updates. We at MyAdvo has a network of 10,000+ advocates across the 600+ districts and has served 2700+ individuals and 100+ corporates for their diversified legal needs and requirements. You can consult a lawyer online, ask a legal question from them and find the best lawyers online.

Follow MyAdvo for daily legal news and top legal updates.

Reviewed by:
Rashmita Das
Published on 27-Apr-18

Book a Govt. Service

Medical Negligence

0 reviews