Select Location

SC Directs To Pay All Dues Of Tea-Garden Workers: Remedies If Employer Does Not Pay

Supreme Court has directed four states- Assam, West Bengal, Tamil Nadu and Kerala to pay off all the dues of the tea-garden workers which are unpaid for last 15 years. The court had directed such payment earlier, but no initiation was made by the concerned states, which amounted to contempt of court. Now the apex court strictly directs to pay half of the total amount unpaid within 60 days, which amounts to approximately INR 127 crores.

Four States - Assam, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal are directed by the Supreme Court on Wednesday to make an interim payment of approximately INR 127 crores to tea garden workers. These workers are entitled to get their dues unpaid for more than 15 years. The bench formed by Justice S.A. Bobde and Justice L.N. Rao directed such payment on a contempt petition filed by the International Union of Food Association and the Paschim Banga Khet Majdoor Samity.

Senior advocate Colin Gonzalves, during the hearing, asserted that though the Court directed to pay the dues, still the order was not complied with, thus it amounts to contempt of court. It has been pointed out that INR 249 crores, 27 Crores, 70 crores and 30 crores are supposed to be paid by Assam, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal respectively. The states are directed to pay approximately half of such dues within 60 days. 

Employers not paying the employees, what are the remedies available to the employees in such situation, let us check those:


  • If there is an arbitration clause in the employment contract, one can first try to resolve the matter through that.
  • The Department of Labour allows employees bring a lawsuit to recover the unpaid wages. That can be a private lawsuit.
  • An employee can file a complaint with the labour office - Office of Labour Commission, Ministry of Labour and Employment and International Labour Organization; to serve the employer with a legal notice, seek enforcement based on clauses of the agreement and initiate civil suit seeking specific performance of the contract as well as damages.
  • A person can file a summary suit under the Code of Civil Procedure.
  • The laws regulating the situations are as follows - Payment of Wages Act 1936, Industrial Disputes Act 1947 and Company Act 2013.

At MyAdvo we have a mission of making legal simple. MyAdvo acts as Client's legal concierge providing technology solutions for Lawyer Discovery, Price Discovery and Case updates. We at MyAdvo has a network of 10,000+ advocates across the 600+ districts and has served 2700+ individuals and 100+ corporates for their diversified legal needs and requirements. You can consult a lawyer online, ask a legal question from them and find the best lawyers online.

Follow MyAdvo for daily legal news and top legal updates.

Reviewed by:
Rashmita Das
Published on 05-Apr-18

Book a Legal Service