Venkaiah Naidu, the chairman of Rajya Sabha rejected the notice to remove the Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra. He said it lacked substantial merit. Naidu stated that he has considered the material contained in the notice of motion and had a discussion with legal and constitutional experts. In his opinion after considering the five charges made out in impeachment motion and other relevant documents, the motion does not deserve to be admitted.
Naidu not only rejected the notice, bt also held Congress for breaching the parliamentary customs and conventions, as well as violating Rajya Sabha norms. There is a provision in the handbook of Rajya Sabha that there can be no publicity of any notice submitted by its member, till it gets admitted by the chairman and circulated to the members. But Congress immediately after submitting the notice, much before the decision of the chairman, held a press conference and shared certain informations regarding the alleged charges on the Chief Justice.
- The five points which were alleged against CJI Dipak Misra are as follows:
- Conspiracy to pay illegal gratification in Prasad Education Trust Case
- Petition against the Prasad Education Trust he listed before him being against the convention when he was the head of constitutional bench.
- Passing a backdated order in the Prasad Education Trust matter.
- He wrongfully acquired a plot of land by giving a false affidavit during his advocate days.
- He misused his power as CJI by referring the sensitive matters to specific benches with an intention to influence.
Within hour of such rejection, CJI held a meeting with the judges in the Supreme Court which decided to form a four-judge team to informally bind the concerns and judges for the purpose of a resolution to light up the downgrading image of the Indian Judiciary. Talking about the allegations, he said that he is doing his best.
At MyAdvo we have a mission of making legal simple. MyAdvo acts as Client's legal concierge providing technology solutions for Lawyer Discovery, Price Discovery and Case updates. We at MyAdvo has a network of 10,000+ advocates across the 600+ districts and has served 2700+ individuals and 100+ corporates for their diversified legal needs and requirements. You can consult a lawyer online, ask a legal question from them and find the best lawyers online.
Follow MyAdvo for daily legal news and top legal updates.