Bureau of Indian Standards is the Indian National Standard Body formed under the BIS Act 2016 to develop in harmony and ancillary concerns the operations for standards, markings and quality certification of the items. In many ways, BIS has provided the national economy with traceability and tangible benefits – safe delivery of quality products; minimizing health risks for the consumers; encouraging exports and replacement of importing goods; controlling the multiplication of varieties, etc. by means of standardization, certification and testing.
With more than 26500 licenses covering more than 900 goods, the BIS Registration Product Scheme is one of the largest schemes in the whole world. The ISI mark is applied to their products, which implies it is pure and healthy by the producer. The Foreign Manufactures Certification System is also operated by BIS Registered Product Scheme, which provides a permission to utilize the BIS standard for foreign manufacturers.
BIS registration is encouraged due to the following reasons:
- It provides as a safeguard to public health.
- Provides protection to the consumer from dangerous products.
- This certification assures quality.
- It builds confidence in the consumers for the certified product.
- Provides quality inspection of the product via lab testing.
- It minimizes environmental risk.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE REGISTRATION
Factory documents and information i.e., all the basic information in respect of the manufacturing unit is as follows:
- Self-certified copy of any one of following papers constituting the Firm: -
1. Registration with State Government Authority/ Trade License, OR
2. Company Registrar, OR Certificate of Registration Certificate
3. Enrolled Partnership Deed if the applicant is a partnership firm, OR
4. Chartered accountant's certificate if the applicant is a business in the nature of proprietorship.
- Self-certified copies (not older than 3 months) of one of the following papers that authenticate company premises: -
1. State Authority/ Trade Licenses Registration, OR
2. GST Record, OR.
3. Order to evaluate income tax, OR
4. Policy on Insurance, OR
5. Receipt of property tax, OR
6. Last rent agreement OR Sale/Lease agreement, OR Last rent agreement
7. Bill for Power, OR
8. Bill, OR Telephone
9. Bill of Water, OR
10. Connection to Gas, OR
11. Statement Bank/Pass Book with sales outlet address. 11.
- Any of the following papers as evidence of identification of the signatories to a request:
1. Card Aadhar, OR
2. License for Driving, OR
3. PAN Card, OR
4. Voting card Identity, OR
5. Fitness, OR
6. ATM card Photo Bank, OR
7. Credit card photo, OR.
8. Photo card CGHS/ECHS
9. License for Arms, OR
10. Certificate of identity with photo of the official letterhead Gazetted Officer, OR
11. State Government Disability ID card/Medical handicapped certificate, OR
12. Photo Card of a Freedom Fighter, OR
13. Pensioner's Photo, OR Pensioner
14. Photo pard/PDS, OR
15. The photo ID of an establishment with a recognition, OR
16. Photo passbook of a Kissan.
- The supplemental paperwork needed for the application is as follows:
1. Non-Judicial Rs 100/- stamping agreement as specified in the format.
2. Map of the location.3.
3. Copy of registration of trademarks.
4.Factory's Organizing Chart.
5.Proof of factory’s legal address.
8.Authorized Indian Representative's (AIR) documents when the producer is foreign to India
Products technical information is required for the lab test. Under this head relevant construction or other details as listed below have to be provided:
- PCB Layout
- Schematic Diagram
- User Manual
- Critical Components List
- Proof of acknowledgment of the submission of the online file;
- Application signed either by the Chief Executive Officer or letter of authorization from the CEO;
- Affidavit and undertaking, including with confirmation of the identification of the individual writing an affidavit, for the authorized Indian representative if the fabricator is situated outside the nation;
- Test report undertaking
- In the original laboratory test report(s), not older than 1 month, all the requirements in the categories VI and VII concerned are listed.
Note: The BIS registration procedure takes about 30-35 days, including 15-20 days of testing period and 10-15 days of BIS application.
TYPES OF BIS REGISTRATION SCHEMES ARE AS FOLLOWS:
- DOMESTIC MANUFACTURER NORMAL PROCEDURE-
The applicant must submit the application for BIS Registration together with some papers and payments. After the application is submitted, a BIS officer conducts an assessment, where the test samples are examined and an independent testing report is made up. And, if all goes right, then the sample technique is acceptable if BIS registration is given. Within four months following filing of the application, registration of the BIS shall be granted.
- SIMPLE DOMESTIC MANUFACTURERS PROCEDURE-
The applicant sends the test report of the sample from the approved lab to the BIS Officer together with the application for BIS Registration. The BIS officer shall check the factory and the award certificate of registration with the requested test report for an acceptable test report within the next 30 days after submission of the BIS registration request.
This streamlined method applies to licensing cases All India First licensing cases and to all goods with the exception of this: -
- Products such as cylinder, valve, cement, etc., when permission from another legislative authority is required;
- Packaged Drinking Water and Packaged Natural Mineral Water are all items under license given on factory testing (PNMW).
BIS also grants a license under an unique scheme- the ECO Marking Scheme for ecologically sound items in which every environmental product is classified in accordance with the fundamental standards laid forth by Indian Standards.
- CERTIFICATION SCHEME FOR FOREIGN MANUFACTURERS-
The ISI mark is particularly created and awarded in the context of a distinct system for applicants or producers from outside within 6 months. The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) established the concept of the International Manufacturers Certification System (FMCS) in 2000 to let foreign applicants or manufacturers to utilize the standard markings for their goods too.
The foreign manufacturer must establish up a subsidiary in India where the foreign manufacturer may appoint an agency in India with necessary approvals.
- In the approved format with the required fee and the documentation, an application form must be provided to the BIS.
- The applicant's production and testing divisions shall carry out preliminary inspections. For independent testing samples are also drawn
- If all BIS requirements are met, the BIS certificate must be awarded according to the minimum yearly marking charge and annual licensing fee paid by the applicants.
- TATKAL SCHEME-
Processing under the Tatkal Scheme may receive a BIS license by producers who require a standard BIS label as given by government notice. The tactical program handles the request under strict time frames and stipulates a cumulative 30-day processing time.
PROCEDURE FOR BIS REGISTRATION
The following actions must be taken in the licensing process:
1. An application will be presented
2.The BIS Officer will then be inspected in advance
3.The samples are examined after the inspection
4.The final result will be determined after the completion of the entire evaluation
Following the inspection process, the following phase is termed the monitoring process in which a full examination has been carried out by the plant. The stages followed in the monitoring procedure are as follows:
1. The inspectorate will visit the plant and report
2.The samples were obtained after the testing
3. Samples are transferred to separate laboratories.
3. The Test report will inform the complainant or provide comments on the inquiry.
5. The report on performance assessment is ready
6. The license is issued once the report has been evaluated
VALIDITY OF THE REGISTRATION
BIS registration is valid for two years and can be renewed without any modification to the product and standard. A minimum duration of 1 year and a maximal period of up to 5 years shall be renewed. Nevertheless, the renewal is based on the yearly licensing price and the minimum marking fee. If the renewal request is filed after the license has been issued, the applicant must pay a late charge of 5,000 rupees.